Venue: The meeting will be held virtually and live streamed - please use the link below. -. View directions
Contact: Democratic Services Email: Democratic.email@example.com
Link: live view stream
Appointment of Substitute Members
To be notified of the appointment of any Substitute Members.
There were no Substitute Members reported.
Declaration of Interests and Dispensations
You are invited to declare any registerable and/or non registerable interests in matters appearing on the agenda, and the nature of that interest.
You are also invited to disclose any dispensation in relation to any registerable and/or non-registerable interests that have been granted to you in respect of any matters appearing on the agenda.
There were no Declarations of Interest or Dispensations reported.
To give consideration to a report on the progress made in delivering the Newcastle and North Tyneside Joint Biodiversity Action Plan.
Consideration was given to a presentation and report which provided an update on the delivery of the Newcastle and North Tyneside Joint Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP) during 2019/20.
During 2019/20 a number of schemes had been undertaken to deliver the BAP including:
· the restoration, management and creation of 1.4 hectares of wildflower grassland at over 70 different sites across the Borough;
· the creation of brownfield butterfly habitat in the West Chirton Industrial Estate;
· the creation of a number of species rich grasslands as part of the planning process;
· woodland, hedgerow and shrub planting which had been secured as part of the planning process;
· tree and shrub management had been carried out over the winter at various parts of the Borough including the Fish Quay, St Mary’s Nature Reserve, Holywell Dene and Brierdene;
· community groups had undertaken a significant amount of native bulb planting at several locations across the Borough including the Rising Sun Country Park;
· the Sustainable Urban Drainage Scheme (SUDs) had been completed at Killingworth Lakeside Park, which included the provision of floating islands and marginal aquatic planting along with pond improvements;
· a new bog garden had been created in Northumberland Park and 5 new ponds had been created along the Silverlink Waggonway as part of footpath and drainage works carried out by the Authority;
· pond and watercourse improvements had been carried out at the Rising Sub Country Park and native scrub and wildflowers were intended to be planted at the site in Spring 2021
· bat habitat, boxes and hibernation roosts had been secured in a number of developments as part of the planning process;
· bird surveys had been carried out at various locations including Souter Park/Churchill Playing Fields, St Mary’s Nature Reserve, Northumberland Park and Brierdene.
It was explained that there were a number of community groups who were very active in the area, maintaining and improving biodiversity in specific areas of the Borough. An update was provided on the works undertaken by the each of the groups so that Members could see the extent of the community involvement in maintaining and improving biodiversity in North Tyneside. The Chair asked the officer to pass on the Sub-committee’s thanks for the works undertaken to improve biodiversity in the Borough.
Members noted that there were a number of community groups in operation but queried what happened in those areas which did not have an active community group. It was explained that the Authority undertook some of the works required but would welcome and encourage more community involvement. It was also explained that there might be community groups operating who did not come to the attention of the Authority and who were happy to continue in that vein.
Clarification was sought on how the site had been created at West Chirton. It was explained that the turf and soil had been transferred from the current site to the new site as the eggs of the dingy skipper butterfly were laid at the base of plants and that was the only way ... view the full minutes text for item E3/19